• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
India News News

‘In view of peculiar facts’: SC stays Delhi HC order suspending Sengar’s sentence in Unnao rape case (Lead)

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • December 29, 2025
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) The Supreme Court on Monday stayed the operation of the Delhi High Court order that had suspended the life sentence and granted bail to expelled Bharatiya Janata Party leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar in the 2017 Unnao rape case.

“We are conscious of the fact that when a convict or an undertrial has been released, such orders are not ordinarily stayed by this court without hearing such persons. But in view of peculiar facts, where the convict is also convicted for a separate offence, we stay the operation of the Delhi High Court,” ordered a three-judge Bench led by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant.

The bench, also comprising Justices J.K. Maheshwari and Augustine George Masih, issued notice to Sengar in the Central Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) plea and directed that a counter-affidavit be filed within four weeks.

The apex court clarified that Sengar will not be released pursuant to the impugned Delhi High Court’s order.

The CJI-led Bench agreed to examine the submission of Solicitor General (SG) Tushar Mehta, who argued that the Delhi High Court’s interpretation would mean a police constable could be treated as a “public servant” under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, while a member of the legislature would stand excluded.

Appearing for the CBI, SG Mehta said the Delhi High Court “erred” in concluding that a legislator would not fall within the category of a “public servant” for the award of sentence.

Placing on record the trial court’s conviction order, the Centre’s second-highest law officer highlighted that the victim was below 16 years of age — approximately 15 years and 10 months — at the time the offence of rape was committed on her.

The SG also added that Sengar could not walk out of jail as he is serving a separate 10-year sentence in cases linked to the death of the survivor’s father in 2018. “This convict was held guilty of murdering the father of the survivor. He is still in jail for that. I urge the conscience of this court to stay this order for the sake of the child who was a victim of this,” he submitted.

In its order, the Supreme Court clarified that the survivor may file a separate special leave petition (SLP) before the apex court, if required, and that the SC Legal Services Committee would provide legal aid.

Earlier on December 23, a Division Bench of Justices Subramonium Prasad and Harish Vaidyanathan Shankar of the Delhi High Court had suspended Sengar’s life sentence and granted him conditional bail during the pendency of his appeal, subject to strict conditions.

The bail order had triggered protests by the survivor’s family and women’s rights activists, who said it had “shaken public faith” and sent a wrong message on crimes against women

In December 2019, the trial court had convicted Sengar of kidnapping and raping a minor girl and sentenced him to imprisonment for the remainder of his natural life, along with a fine of Rs 25 lakh. The Supreme Court had earlier transferred all cases related to the incident from Uttar Pradesh to Delhi and directed that the trial be conducted on a day-to-day basis.

–IANS

pds/vd

Post navigation

‘This season is about courage, not caution,’ says Salima Tete ahead of Soorma Hockey’s HIL opener against Shrachi Bengal Tigers
BMC polls: Cong playing BJP’s ‘B-team’, will be reduced to single digit, says Shiv Sena (UBT)

Related Post

Abhishek Banerjee seeks time from KMC to respond to demolition notice
May 24, 2026
AIADMK faces fresh setback as ex-MP Venugopal quits amid growing internal issues
May 24, 2026
Punjab police ASI killed as unidentified bike-borne assailants rain bullets at him in Amritsar
May 24, 2026
Hyderabad Police hunt for four suspects in advocate’s murder
May 24, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • Abhishek Banerjee seeks time from KMC to...
  • AIADMK faces fresh setback as ex-MP Venugopal...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer