• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
Sports

Scotland officially replace Bangladesh in Men’s T20 World Cup, confirms ICC

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • January 25, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) confirmed on Saturday that Scotland will replace Bangladesh in the 2026 Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 after the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) refused to participate under the tournament’s published schedule, which would require them to play their league stage games in India.

Bangladesh had sought to move their group-stage fixtures from India to Sri Lanka, citing security concerns in the wake of fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman being released from the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2026. But ICC’s decision ends weeks of uncertainty after the BCB repeatedly pressed for a venue change and even suggested swapping groups with Ireland.

In a statement, ICC said independent assessments found no credible threat to the team’s safety. With the tournament set to begin on February 7, the governing body said it was not feasible to alter Bangladesh’s fixtures at such short notice.

ICC officials, including chairman Jay Shah, met in Dubai on Friday before formally deciding on Saturday to replace Bangladesh with Scotland in the mega event. “The decision follows an extensive process undertaken by the ICC to address concerns raised by the BCB regarding the hosting of its scheduled matches in India.

“Over a period of more than three weeks, the ICC engaged with the BCB through multiple rounds of dialogue conducted in a transparent and constructive manner, including meetings held both via video conference and in-person.

“As part of this process, the ICC reviewed the concerns cited by the BCB, commissioned and considered independent security assessments from internal and external experts, and shared detailed security and operational plans covering federal and state arrangements, as well as enhanced and escalating security protocols for the event.

“These assurances were reiterated at several stages, including during discussions involving the ICC Business Corporation (IBC) Board. The ICC’s assessments concluded that there was no credible or verifiable security threat to the Bangladesh national team, officials, or supporters in India.

“In light of these findings, and after careful consideration of the broader implications, the ICC determined that it was not appropriate to amend the published event schedule. Following a meeting on Wednesday, the Bangladesh Cricket Board had been given a 24-hour timeframe to confirm whether its team would participate in India as scheduled.

As no confirmation was received within the deadline, the ICC “proceeded in line with its established governance and qualification processes to identify a replacement team,” said ICC in its statement.

Scotland will now take Bangladesh’s place in Group C alongside England, Italy, Nepal, and the West Indies. The side comes into the upcoming T20 World Cup as the next-highest ranked T20I team that had originally missed the qualification for the tournament, where they finished atinourth place.

Scotland are currently ranked 14th, which in fact is ahead of competing teams Namibia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Nepal, USA, Canada, Oman, and Italy. Scotland will begin their campaign against the West Indies at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on February 7. Interestingly, Scotland had played the 2009 T20 World Cup in England after Zimbabwe pulled out of the tournament due to political reasons.

–IANS

nr/bsk/

Post navigation

RDX used in blast near railway station, says Punjab BJP working chief
3rd T20I: India aim to wrap up series win against New Zealand as dew factor looms large in Guwahati (Preview)

Related Post

IPL 2026: Pandey, Powell, and bowlers keep KKR’s playoffs hope alive
May 21, 2026
IPL 2026: Tejasvi Singh replaces injured Raghuvanshi as concussion substitute
May 21, 2026
IPL 2026: Ramandeep Singh replaces injured Raghuvanshi as concussion substitute
May 21, 2026
ISL 2025-26: Mohun Bagan SG look to keep their end of the bargain against SC Delhi
May 21, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • IGP Bhavaneeswari to head ‘Singappen’ STF for...
  • Adani Power to acquire 24 pc stake...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer