• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
India News News

Zubeen Garg death probe: Court reserves order on bail plea of accused former bandmate

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • May 18, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

Guwahati, May 18 (IANS) Assam’s Fast Track Court on Monday heard the bail plea of Shekharjyoti Goswami, a former bandmate of iconic Assamese singer Zubeen Garg and one of the accused in the sensational death probe linked to the ace musician.

After completion of the hearing, the court reserved its order on Goswami’s bail petition and fixed May 28 for pronouncement of the verdict.

Goswami, who has been lodged in judicial custody for the past several months, was not produced before the court on Monday. His counsel argued in favour of bail citing the prolonged period of incarceration, while the prosecution opposed the plea, maintaining that the investigation into the high-profile case remained significant.

The case pertains to the death of Zubeen Garg, who died on September 19 last year while swimming near Lazarus Island in Singapore. The incident occurred a day before the singer was scheduled to perform at an event organised under the NEIF banner.

Following the incident, a Special Investigation Team (SIT) constituted by the Assam Police CID conducted an extensive probe and filed a chargesheet in December. The chargesheet named seven accused persons, including Mahanta. Of them, four have been booked on charges of murder, intensifying the seriousness of the case.

Earlier, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had termed the case a “plain and simple murder” during a discussion in the state Assembly, underlining the government’s stand on the matter.

Meanwhile, a parallel investigation carried out by Singapore Police reached a different conclusion, stating that there was no evidence of foul play in Garg’s death. Despite this, authorities in Assam have maintained that the findings of the foreign probe would not influence the ongoing investigation and trial in the state.

The case continues to attract widespread public and political attention, with the upcoming court order on the bail plea expected to be a crucial stage in the legal proceedings.

–IANS

tdr/pgh

Post navigation

IPL 2026: Lucky that Virat was batting out there, says Venkatesh Iyer after his unbeaten 73 vs PBKS
Congress registered impressive victory in ULB polls, says Himachal CM

Related Post

Delhi HC declines immediate relief to Vinesh Phogat over Asian Games trials
May 19, 2026
Bengal: Abhishek Banerjee moves Calcutta HC seeking scrapping of FIR
May 19, 2026
Tripura Police arrest TSR jawan, health worker in viral cash video case
May 19, 2026
Centre, Andaman and Nicobar administration ink ‘Jal Jeevan Mission 2.0’ agreement
May 19, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • IPL 2026: Tickets for playoffs matches will...
  • ‘Coffees of Nagaland’ is truly a Whole...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer