• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
Sports

ATP Roundup: Ben Shelton, Alex de Minaur survive tough opening tests

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • May 19, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Ben Shelton and Alex de Minaur faced tough first-round matches at the Hamburg Open. Both top-10 players needed three sets to move on in Germany.

World No. 6 Shelton, who is seeded second in Hamburg, beat lucky loser Marcos Giron 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(3). This marked Shelton’s first win since he claimed the title in Munich last month. He started strong but Giron pushed him to a deciding set. Shelton regained his focus in the tie-break to secure the win.

Third seed de Minaur also had to fight hard. He came back from a set down to defeat Argentina’s Francisco Cerundolo 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. This win ended a three-match losing streak for the Australian as he heads into the final stretch of the clay-court season.

Home fans cheered for German players Daniel Altmaier and Yannick Hanfmann, who both won their matches. Argentina’s Tomas Martin Etcheverry and Camilo Ugo Carabelli also moved on to the next round. Spain’s Alejandro Davidovich Fokina and Czech newcomer Jakub Mensik rounded out the list of winners on the first day.

In the Geneva Open, veteran Swiss player Stan Wawrinka had a thrilling 6-2, 4-6, 7-6(5) win over Italy’s Raul Brancaccio. The 41-year-old wild card survived a tense tie-break in the deciding set and became the oldest player to win an ATP Tour clay-court match since Jimmy Connors in 1994.

Greek wild card Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced, but not without difficulty. After jumping to a 6-2 lead in the second-set tie-break, he struggled to close out the match. Finally, he converted his sixth match point to defeat France’s Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard 6-4, 7-6(8).

In addition, fifth seed Arthur Rinderknech moved on, along with unseeded players Alex Michelsen, Lithuania’s Edas Butvilas, and Argentine duo Mariano Navone and Francisco Comesana.

–IANS

hs/

Post navigation

Creating problems for us: Fuel price hike draws concern from Delhi to UP
Pep Guardiola set to leave Manchester City at end of season: Report

Related Post

Rani doing stellar job with fast-progressing U-18 group, says U-21 Women’s coach Tim White
May 19, 2026
IPL 2026: Aaron Finch backs Ruturaj Gaikwad despite difficult CSK season
May 19, 2026
IPL 2026: Varun Aaron praises SRH youngsters Sakib and Praful after playoff-clinching win
May 19, 2026
IPL 2026: Added responsibility of captaincy seems to have affected Gaikwad’s batting, says Ashwin
May 19, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • Paytm building one of India’s strongest fintech...
  • Kharge attacks Centre over fresh fuel price...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer