• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
India News News

After ‘two fugitives’ remark, Lalit Modi issues apology to Indian government

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • December 29, 2025
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Former Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi on Monday issued an apology to the Indian government, days after he referred to himself and liquor baron Vijay Mallya as the two “biggest fugitives” in a viral video, a comment that was widely perceived as a swipe at India.

In a post on X, Modi, however, did not clearly specify what exactly he was apologising for.

“I apologise if I have hurt anyone feelings especially the Indian Government who I have the highest respect and regard for. The statement was misconstrued and was never intended to be as played out. Once again my deepest apologies,” he wrote.

The apology came after a video showing Modi at Mallya’s lavish birthday party in London went viral last week. In the clip, Modi was heard saying, “We are the two fugitives, the biggest fugitives of India.”

Modi had himself shared the video on Instagram, captioning it, “Let me do something to break the internet down again. Something for you folks. Wat your heart out with envy (sic).”

The post triggered sharp reactions online, with several users accusing Modi and Mallya of making a “mockery of the Indian government” and the country’s legal system.

Following the backlash, Modi deleted the video from his social media account.

Reacting indirectly to the controversy sparked by Modi’s remarks, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) reiterated India’s position that those wanted by law would be brought back to face justice.

“We remain fully committed that people who are fugitives, who are wanted by law in India, they return to the country. For this particular return, we are in talks with several governments, and processes are on. In several of these cases, there are several layers of legalities involved. But we remain committed to bringing them back to the country so that they can face trial before the courts here,” MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said.

Both Lalit Modi and Vijay Mallya, who are facing serious charges in India, have been residing in the United Kingdom for several years.

Lalit Modi left India in 2010 after allegations surfaced against him relating to tax evasion, money laundering and proxy ownership linked to the lucrative IPL.

The Enforcement Directorate has claimed that he manipulated the process of assigning IPL broadcast rights in 2009, allegedly in exchange for kickbacks exceeding Rs 125 crore.

Vijay Mallya, the former chairman of United Breweries and promoter of the now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines, fled India in 2016 amid allegations of financial fraud.

He is accused of defaulting on multiple bank loans and is said to owe Indian banks around Rs 9,000 crore.

In 2019, Indian authorities declared Mallya a “fugitive economic offender”, a designation that he has challenged in the High Court.

The two high-profile businessmen were last seen together in July at a lavish private gathering in London, where they were filmed singing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way”.

The karaoke evening was hosted by Lalit Modi as his “annual summer party” and was attended by more than 300 guests.

–IANS

sd/

Post navigation

Bangladesh election to provide Jamaat-e-Islami possible path to power
AIADMK gears up for TN polls as EPS calls key meeting of district secretaries

Related Post

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio to visit Jaipur on May 25
May 24, 2026
Hijab reintroduction, Aland riots case withdrawal part of ‘appeasement politics’: Karnataka BJP
May 24, 2026
Uttarakhand govt announces administrative reshuffle with IAS, PCS officers transfers
May 24, 2026
Telangana HC advocate killed in suspected targeted SUV attack in Hyderabad
May 24, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • IFL 2026: Shillong Lajong secures second spot...
  • IPL 2026: Bumrah did not get enough...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer