Bhubaneswar, Aug 17 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi on Monday reiterated that ensuring the safety of people affected by floods and providing them with necessary assistance as soon as possible is the state government’s top priority.
The Chief Minister made the remarks after visiting various affected villages in the flood‑hit districts of Jajpur and Bhadrak with other senior ministers and officials. CM Majhi, instead of travelling by helicopter, visited the flood‑hit areas by motorcycle and boat to take stock of the situation firsthand.
During his visit, he inspected shelters, reviewed the cooked food being served to affected people, interacted with farmers, and assessed crop damage.
Taking to his X handle, CM Majhi wrote: “Today, I visited the flood‑affected areas, assessed the situation, and held discussions with the villagers. Relief, dry and cooked food, clean drinking water, and healthcare services are being provided immediately to affected families, while rescue and assistance efforts are being intensified. Ensuring the safety of the affected people and immediately providing them with necessary assistance is the topmost priority of the people’s government.”
He said rescue and relief operations are continuing on a war footing, with the administration working round the clock to evacuate people from affected areas, provide essential supplies, and ensure all necessary assistance reaches those in need without delay.
“Emphasis is being placed on delivering relief materials, food, drinking water, and essential healthcare services to the affected areas. The situation is being continuously monitored, and prompt action is being taken as required. The people’s government is continuing all efforts to ensure that assistance reaches the affected people,” he added.
As per official information, 66 blocks, 448 gram panchayats, 1,304 villages and 10 urban local bodies in six districts, Baleshwar, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendujhar, Mayurbhanj and Kendrapada, have been affected. The floods have impacted more than 7.85 lakh people, while over 2.77 lakh have so far been evacuated to safer places.
Meanwhile, Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) President Bhakta Charan Das launched a scathing attack on Chief Minister Majhi, accusing his administration of insensitivity and negligence during the flood crisis.
“Visiting the flood‑hit areas 16 days after the crisis began is nothing short of a mockery of the victims’ plight. People needed food, shelter, and immediate ground support when the waters were rising, not long after everything they owned was destroyed,” Das said.
–IANS
grm/dan