• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
India News

Relieved that Prez Trump, First Lady, VP Vance are safe: PM Modi after shooting incident

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • April 26, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday expressed relief that US President Donald Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, and Vice President J.D. Vance were unharmed after a shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

Condemning the incident, he further stated that violence has no place in a democracy.

Trump and several senior US officials were evacuated from the annual White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington on Saturday night (local time) after multiple gunshots were reported.

Secret Service agents and other security personnel rushed into the banquet hall as panic spread among attendees. Guests reportedly took cover under tables while security officers urged people to duck.

In a post on X, PM Modi said, “Relieved to learn that President Trump, the First Lady and Vice President are safe and unharmed following the recent security incident at a Washington D.C. hotel. I extend my best wishes for their continued safety and well-being. Violence has no place in a democracy and must be unequivocally condemned.”

Following the incident, Trump shared an update on social media, confirming that the situation had been brought under control and praising the swift response of security agencies. He indicated that the suspect had been apprehended and said any decision regarding the continuation of the event would be made by law enforcement authorities.

“Quite an evening in D.C. Secret Service and Law Enforcement did a fantastic job. They acted quickly and bravely. The shooter has been apprehended, and I have recommended that we let the show go on, but, will entirely be guided by Law Enforcement. They will make a decision shortly. Regardless of that decision, the evening will be much different than planned, and we’ll just, plain, have to do it again,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

Several individuals present at the event said they heard what sounded like five to eight gunshots. The hall, packed with hundreds of journalists, celebrities, and political leaders awaiting the President’s address, was quickly evacuated. National Guard personnel were deployed inside the venue, and attendees were escorted out but not allowed to re-enter. Security remained extremely tight in the surrounding area.

Investigators have identified the suspect in the shooting near the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner as a 31-year-old man from California, believed to have acted alone and now facing multiple federal charges linked to firearms and the attack.

Law enforcement officials cited in The New York Times identified the suspect as Cole Tomas Allen, 31, of Torrance, California, who was taken into custody after attempting to breach a security checkpoint at the Washington Hilton.

Authorities said the attacker was armed with multiple weapons and attempted to push past security before being tackled by law enforcement. The suspect fired several rounds before being subdued inside the hotel complex just meters away from the ballroom.

President Trump, speaking at a press conference, described the attacker as “a sick person” and said early indications suggested a lone actor. He added that investigators were already searching the suspect’s residence in California and reviewing his background.

Federal officials have not yet publicly detailed a motive. Trump said, “They seemed to think he’s a lone wolf, and I feel that too,” while cautioning that more information would emerge as the investigation progresses.

–IANS

sd/

Post navigation

TUC 2026: Indian women beat Ukraine 4-1
‘Gunman carried shotgun, knives,’ police say after shooting at White House event

Related Post

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, wife Jeanette visit Mother House in Kolkata as part of his four-day visit to India (Ld)
May 23, 2026
Army’s Cheetah helicopter crashes in Ladakh, occupants escape miraculously
May 23, 2026
Twisha death case: Husband Samarth brought to Bhopal, kept under tight security at police station
May 23, 2026
NEET-UG 2026: Refund portal opens; candidates can submit bank details till May 27
May 23, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • CNG prices in Delhi hiked by Rs...
  • US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, wife...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer