Guwahati, Aug 22 (IANS) The Assam and Meghalaya governments on Saturday agreed on a series of measures to defuse tensions following the August 19 violence in Shillong, with Meghalaya assuring safe evacuation of stranded Assam tourists, compensation for injured persons and damaged vehicles, and strict action against those involved in the attacks.
The decisions were taken at a high-level meeting at the Koinadhara State Guest House in Guwahati, led by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora.
The meeting, attended by senior officials from both states, continued for more than three hours and focused on restoring normal movement of people and vehicles along the interstate routes.
Dhar said the Meghalaya government sincerely regretted the August 19 incident and assured Assam that strong action would be taken against those responsible.
He added that 15 FIRs had been registered in connection with the violence and that the president, vice-president and general secretary of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) had been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.
Five masked individuals allegedly involved in attacks on Assam-registered vehicles have also been identified, Dhar said.
A Special Investigation Team has been constituted to identify all those involved in the violence and ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.
The Meghalaya government told the meeting that more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles had already been safely escorted into Assam.
The Assam Control Room received 54 distress calls involving 175 people, including occupants of 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles.
Meghalaya’s control room has received 379 distress calls and is assisting people seeking safe passage.
The two governments agreed that all passengers and vehicles still stranded in Meghalaya and wishing to return to Assam would be safely escorted within the next 48 hours.
A dedicated coordination mechanism will also be established between senior police officers of the two states, including the Assam Inspector General of Police (Special Branch) Ratna Singha and Meghalaya IGP (Law and Order) Davis N.R. Marak.
Dedicated helplines and an online support forum will assist stranded travellers.
The states also decided to constitute permanent district-level joint committees involving the administrations and police of Kamrup Metropolitan and Nongpoh to resolve border-related issues promptly.
A separate joint committee involving senior transport officials and tourist vehicle associations will be formed to regulate tourist movement and protect shared tourism interests.
Both governments also agreed to ensure safe transit through each other’s territory, including movement between Assam’s Barak Valley and other parts of the state through Meghalaya.
The Meghalaya government reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicles from Assam and other parts of the country during their stay and movement within the state.
The measures are aimed at preventing further escalation and restoring normal interstate traffic following the Shillong violence and subsequent protests at Jorabat.
–IANS
tdr/khz