• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
Sports

T20 WC: Abhishek unavailable for selection against Namibia due to illness, says BCCI

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • February 13, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, Feb 12 (IANS) India’s left-handed opener Abhishek Sharma was unavailable for their Group A clash against Namibia in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium on Thursday due to his ongoing recovery from illness.

IANS had previously reported that Abhishek was admitted to a private hospital in New Delhi on Monday due to a stomach infection, which he picked up during the clash against the USA at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. India batter Tilak Varma said in the pre-match press conference that Abhishek got discharged on Wednesday and was under further observation.

“Abhishek Sharma is still recovering from his illness and was unavailable for selection. The BCCI medical team is closely monitoring his progress,” said the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in a statement on its ‘X’ account on Thursday.

Abhishek Sharma’s absence meant a door had opened for wicketkeeper-batter Sanju Samson to play at the top of the order alongside Ishan Kishan.

“Abhishek is still not fine; he will miss a game or two. Sanju comes in, similar batter, explosive,” India skipper Suryakumar Yadav said at toss time, with Namibia electing to bowl first.

Ahead of Thursday’s clash, a visibly lean Abhishek was seen at the stadium, his first public appearance since being dismissed for a golden duck against the USA on February 7.

He did not take part in India’s training sessions on consecutive evenings in the lead-up to the clash against Namibia. Though Abhishek was present at the ground but not in batting gear, raising the prospect that Samson could open the innings alongside Ishan Kishan.

To India’s relief, fast bowling spearhead Jasprit Bumrah returned to the playing eleven for his first game of the tournament, and replaced Mohammed Siraj, who picked a three-wicket haul against the USA.

–IANS

nr/bsk/

Post navigation

India emerges as global AI leader; farmers’ interests to be safeguarded in US trade deal: Priyam Gandhi Modi
J&K HC forms gender sensitisation panel against sexual harassment of women & transgenders

Related Post

IPL 2026: Ishan deserves all the credit, says Pat Cummins after SRH’s playoff-clinching win over CSK
May 19, 2026
IPL 2026: Everyone gave their hearts out, says Gaikwad, proud despite CSK’s defeat to SRH
May 19, 2026
BBL season opener could be played in Chennai in December
May 19, 2026
IPL 2026: Ishan Kishan shines as SRH secure playoff berth with five-wicket win over CSK
May 19, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • IPL 2026: Ishan deserves all the credit,...
  • IPL 2026: Everyone gave their hearts out,...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer