• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
Sports

Tennis: Jannik Sinner focuses on ‘performing well’ in Madrid Open

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • April 22, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) Italian star Jannik Sinner has made it clear that the Madrid Open is an important part of his clay-court season, but his main focus is on performing well at Roland Garros as he aims for a career Grand Slam.

The world number one arrives in Madrid after a significant breakthrough on clay. He recently defeated Carlos Alcaraz in straight sets to win the Monte Carlo Masters. However, Sinner admitted that he hasn’t had the best results in the Spanish capital.

“I never played very well here, so let’s see how it goes this year,” Sinner said ahead of the tournament. “I’m trying to improve as a player, and this might be one of the toughest challenges because of certain factors like altitude and wind.”

Even though he is one of the favourites and is aiming for a fifth consecutive Masters title, Sinner emphasized that his larger goal is in Paris. “The most important is Roland Garros,” he said. “We try to be in the best shape possible there, but I’m here to do my best, and then we’ll see how it goes.”

Sinner’s motivation is heightened by last year’s disappointment at Roland Garros, where he lost a dramatic final to Alcaraz despite having three championship points. The 24-year-old has another chance to complete his Grand Slam collection, as the French Open is the only major title he still needs.

The Madrid Open will miss two of tennis’s biggest stars, with Alcaraz out due to a wrist injury and Novak Djokovic also absent. Sinner acknowledged that their absence creates a void.

“It’s a very big pity not to have Alcaraz here and also Novak, the two biggest stars in tennis,” he said. “We have shared many tournaments since last year, but in my mind, I also know that if I want to play against Carlos, it’s in the final, and the path to the final is very long.”

Top seed Sinner will start his Madrid campaign in the second round against an opponent yet to be determined. He views the tournament as an essential step in refining his game before the clay-court showcase in Paris.

–IANS

hs/bsk/

Post navigation

Congress backs women’s reservation: Siddaramaiah​
IPL 2026: Abhishek’s century powers SRH to third spot with 47-run win over DC

Related Post

ISL 2025-26: East Bengal win maiden title with 2-1 win over Inter Kashi
May 22, 2026
IPL 2026: Very happy to get the momentum, says Gill after GT secure top two finish
May 22, 2026
ISL 2025-26: Mumbai City FC seal third place with victory over nine-man Punjab FC
May 22, 2026
IPL 2026: Not many people buy the fact that we are a young team in transition, says Gaikwad
May 22, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • Wayanad’s children call Kerala minister, thank him...
  • ‘Enhanced India’s prestige on global stage’: Farming...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer