• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
India News News

Trinamool, BJP workers clash outside Kolkata counting centre; Mamata keeps vigil at another strong room

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • May 1, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

Kolkata, May 1 (IANS) A scuffle broke out between workers of the Trinamool Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) outside the counting centre at Netaji Indoor Stadium in Kolkata on Thursday, following allegations by Trinamool leaders of “suspicious movements” inside a strong room.

Trinamool Congress candidates Kunal Ghosh and Shashi Panja staged a protest outside the gate of the counting centre, alleging irregularities linked to the strong room at the adjacent Khudiram Anushilan Kendra here.

Workers of both parties raised slogans against each other, leading to a brief confrontation.

Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee reached the strong room at the Shakhawat Memorial counting centre, where Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) of her Bhabanipur Assembly constituency are kept.

She remained at the site for more than two to three hours, keeping vigil outside the strong room in her capacity as a candidate.

Trinamool Congress candidate from Kolkata Port constituency, Firhad (Bobby) Hakim, also visited the location.

After reviewing the arrangements, Mamata Banerjee instructed Trinamool candidates across the state to remain alert and maintain vigilance outside strong rooms through the night. She advised that candidates ensure continuous presence, making necessary arrangements for food, water, and rotation of personnel.

At Netaji Indoor Stadium, while Trinamool candidates Kunal Ghosh (Beleghata) and Shashi Panja (Shyampukur) were present, BJP candidates Santosh Pathak (Chowrangee) and Tapas Roy (Maniktala) also reached the venue and objected to the Trinamool gathering outside the strong room.

Following a few hours of protest and police intervention, the Trinamool candidates withdrew their demonstration after receiving assurances from the Election Commission. BJP workers also called off their protest subsequently.

Apart from alleging suspicious movement inside the strong room, the Trinamool Congress also raised concerns over alleged non-compliance with rules relating to postal ballots.

The Election Commission, however, denied the allegations and said that candidates had been informed in advance about postal ballot procedures through email communication.

According to the Commission, the strong room at Netaji Indoor Stadium houses EVMs from seven Assembly constituencies in north Kolkata.

After polling concluded on Wednesday, all strong rooms were sealed in the presence of candidates, election agents, and observers, with the final strong room being sealed at 5:15 a.m. on Thursday.

The Commission added that a separate strong room for postal ballots has been set up at the adjacent Khudiram Anushilan Kendra, where postal ballots from different centres have been stored and sorted constituency-wise.

Questioning the alleged movement inside the Khudiram Anushilan Kendra, Kunal Ghosh said, “There were party workers and supporters in front of the strong room till 3.30 p.m., but they were later removed. In the meantime, an email was suddenly sent stating that the strong room would reopen at 4 p.m. We contacted our workers, who said they had already left. We then rushed back to the spot.”

Ghosh also placed several demands, including installation of CCTV cameras at the postal ballot strong room, live display of footage outside, permission for candidate representatives to monitor the screens, and no obstruction from police personnel.

After the Election Commission assured necessary measures, the Trinamool candidates withdrew their protest.

–IANS

sch/pgh/khz

Post navigation

IPL 2026: ‘Restricting them under 160 was tremendous,’ says Gill after GT win
Kiren Rijiju hails warm welcome in North Sikkim

Related Post

Rajasthan Police issues advisory to prevent people from cyber frauds
May 23, 2026
Maharashtra emerges data centre capital with Rs 16.69 lakh crore investment pipeline
May 23, 2026
Mahanadi row: BJD questions secrecy over data submitted to tribunal
May 23, 2026
Mahanadi row: BJD questions secrecy over data submitted to tribunal
May 23, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • Rajasthan Police issues advisory to prevent people...
  • Maharashtra emerges data centre capital with Rs...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer