• About Us
  • Our Editorial Policy
  • Business Directory
  • Advertise with Us
  • Our Advertisers
  • Contact Us
Australia India News
India News Australia
  • Home
  • Current Issue
    Past Issue
  • India News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • World
    World This Week
  • Community News
  • What's On
  • Others
    Yoga in Australia News COVID-19 Community News Naari IPL News Health Travel Entertainment
  • Migrants Expo
  • National Events
  • Please wait..
World

Suspect targeted administration officials in attempted WH attack: Acting US A-G

  • BY India News Newsdesk
  • April 27, 2026
  • 0 COMMENTS

Washington, April 26 (IANS) Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche said on Sunday that investigators believe the suspect in the attempted attack near the White House was targeting members of the administration, as federal authorities continued to sift through evidence gathered overnight.

“This investigation is just over 12 hours old, so we are still actively examining everything that happened. As of now, we have collected a fair amount of evidence, which we are going through,” Blanche said in an interview with Margaret Brennan on CBS’s ‘Face the Nation’.

Blanche said the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), working alongside local police and the United States Secret Service, executed multiple search warrants, including at a residence in California and a hotel room in Washington where the suspect had been staying.

“We do believe, based on a very preliminary understanding of what happened, that he was targeting members of the administration,” Blanche said, adding that investigators were still working to determine the motive and whether the suspect acted alone.

Authorities said the suspect is not cooperating and is expected to be formally charged in federal court in Washington as early as Monday morning. Blanche noted that additional charges could follow as investigators assess “his motive, his intent, his premeditation”.

The suspect allegedly approached a security checkpoint with “a shotgun, handgun and multiple knives”, according to Blanche, and was “apprehended and subdued feet away from breaching the perimeter”.

“That’s a testament to the Secret Service doing their job,” he said. “He was stopped before he got anywhere near the President… and that’s the great work of the Secret Service last night.”

Officials believe the suspect travelled by train from Los Angeles to Chicago and then to Washington. Blanche said authorities were still trying to determine how the firearms were transported across state lines and into the capital.

“We don’t have all the answers this morning,” he said. “We’re still looking into how he got the guns, and whether they were obtained legally.”

Blanche pushed back on suggestions that the incident should immediately trigger changes to firearms or transport regulations.

“This isn’t about changing the law or making the laws more restrictive,” he said. “This is about law enforcement doing their jobs and a suspect who tried to carry out an attack and failed.”

The attempted attack unfolded during a high-profile gathering attended by top US leaders, including President Donald Trump, the Vice President, and senior Cabinet officials. Blanche said the administration would not scale back public engagements in response.

“We will not stop doing things like we did last night. If one of his goals was to make us afraid, he failed,” he said.

One Secret Service agent was injured during the incident but was in “very good spirits”, Blanche said, crediting protective gear for preventing a more serious outcome.

The US Secret Service is tasked with protecting the President and other senior officials, often coordinating closely with federal and local agencies to secure major events in Washington.

–IANS

int/lkj/pgh

Post navigation

Security lapses questioned after WHCD shooting
Indian Naval Ship arrives in Singapore under IOS SAGAR mission

Related Post

Russia: Death toll from Starobilsk college drone strike rises to 18
May 24, 2026
Indian, Chinese Americans targeted: US lawmakers
May 23, 2026
Marco Rubio’s visit to India emphasises importance of Quad: US Embassy
May 22, 2026
PM Modi arrives in Italy, scripting a new chapter in India-Italy Strategic Partnership
May 20, 2026

Our Current Issue

Australia IA – May 16-31, 2026

Alluring India 2026

Alluring India 2026

Our Advertisers

  • Battery Rebate australia
  • Bess Australia Solar Panels

Follow Us

  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
INDIA NEWS on YouTube in Australia, bring to our readers and subscribers national and international news, editorials, expert columns, community activities and interviews of political leaders, celebrities, business professionals, academics and sport personalities among others.
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook
  • facebook

Category

  • Accident
  • Adani Australia
  • Advertorial
  • Arts & Culture
  • Ashes 2022
  • Australia

Recent News

  • Uttar Pradesh crowned champions of National Divyang...
  • IPL 2026: KKR rope in Luvnith Sisodia...

Subscribe Newsletter

Get the latest creative news from india news

  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer